Friday, May 17, 2013

What Haven't I Learned From This Trip?


As Project DUMBO comes to an end, the last assignment given was to write a post about what we have learned throughout the past month.  There has been so many great experiences that I didn't even know where to begin.

Walking in as a business major I was slightly concerned how the trip was going to go; would I fit in with all the art majors, will the art world accept me coming in with such little background of art?  But what I have learned is that it doesn't matter who you are, where you're from, what you studied; all that matters is what you do for yourself to get where you want to be.

In regards to the art world, New York City shattered any stereotypes assumed.  (Most) artists aren't crazy people creating art in basements cutting off their own ears.. they are the most caring and enthusiastic people I have ever met.  They are so passionate in their careers that I have seen and personally heard famous artists and collectors say, they are more than willing to help blooming artists get their work out there because that is what opportunities are for, someone has to start somewhere and everyone deserves a chance.
This alone changed my whole perspective on things, where else are people so willing with open hands to help those that need it?  And when opportunities like this are given, you take it.

New York City is a world within itself. The skyscrapers, subways, cabs and people are so diverse and submerged in culture.  Its a beautiful place and I wish I never had to leave. Oh, wait.. I'm not! Starting June I will be interning with Louise Blouin Media in the lower westside.
I cannot stress enough how thankful I am for the opportunity, and I hope it shows that what I have learned on this trip about taking every possibility given to you, because you never know when it can become reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment