Friday, May 17, 2013

DUMBO and My Future

Project DUMBO is a real-world art crash course. We've met artists, publishers, directors, curators, dealers, writers, critics, and collectors. We've gone to museums and galleries all over the city. I've experienced the art world face-to-face. I've been given a tremendous opportunity to absorb everything that I can, and make something personal out of it. 



Through this exposure, I've come to the conclusion that I want to be a professional artist. After our studio and gallery visits, I've realized I want nothing more than to have my art on the gallery walls. This is the most important thing I've learned. I actually want to do it.  

This trip has provided me with an understanding of how that goal is attained. As Noah Becker said, being an artist isn't about isolation. It requires marketing and business sense- you have to be able to connect yourself with others. The art world is a community of people working together; to be successful, you must be a part of that.


This is the most important thing I've learned; but I've picked up a million other tidbits as well. I can navigate the subways better, I became more familiar with Brooklyn, and I'm certainly better at sketching. After seeing so much art, I know what I want to do at least a little bit more definitively. I can't wait to head into the next year with the knowledge I've gained. My art has become more sharp, and my goals more clear.  

-Jamieson Riling


No comments:

Post a Comment