Friday, May 17, 2013

My DUMBO Experience


How Project DUMBO has influenced me

1. Became familiar with the Chelsea Galleries - I had never been to Chelsea before this trip. Visiting galleries and going to the art fairs were new experiences for me. In addition to seeing art within the galleries, I learned more about their function, how they represent artists, how they curate shows, and how it is a full-time job for people. 




2. Learned about Contemporary Artists- Before coming on this trip I had a very small knowledge of contemporary art history. At some point I realized that in order for me to appreciate all of these opportunities we were given, I had to know more about the art world. We went to museums and I did outside research. Now I have a wider knowledge of the contemporary artists. I still only know the basics. I plan to read more art books and magazines over the summer. I see that understanding the history is just as important as understanding the technique.

3. Tried new food Initially I worried about the group dinners because I expected that I would not being able to find food that would accommodate with my gluten free diet. Before each group dinner I would research gluten free dishes from that region. I found that a lot of the Indian, Vietnamese, Egyptian, and Thai foods were safe for me to eat. The group dinners ended up being some of the highlights of the trip so I’m glad I didn’t have to miss out.  


4. I learned how to navigate the subway- I lied, I am very poor with directions so I have just been using an app to help get me places.

... but it's alright though because I never really wanted to leave Dumbo anyway




5. Became more assertive This experience has taught me to be more assertive. In the beginning, I would hesitate to ask questions or even restrain from writing blog posts. I’ve learned that no matter how much I may try, I will say things that I wish I had not.I found that I regretted not asking a question more than when I asked a ridiculous one.  Everyone we met was extremely respectful and informative. Their answers made all of our questions appear more insightful. It became much easier to have discussions with them. Even though I overcame my fear of asking questions, I still have not overcome my fears of birds, rats, gum, or crossing the street. 


Especially towards the end, I questioned my commitment to art. There were times when I would wonder if it was worth the effort. There will probably always be moments of doubt, but that’s when I have some chocolate and just continue drawing. However, there were more times that I could not imagine myself being anything else. This trip helped me to better understand which specific jobs would be best suited for me.  I’ve even been inspired to make more work and to establish my own style of painting. Learning about the challenges that I will have to face just makes me become even more motivated than I was before.           

No comments:

Post a Comment