Thursday, May 16, 2013

Behind the Scenes and Illustration


Alex, Andrew, Maggie, Julia, Amy, Gina, Christina, Aubrie, Renee, Kate, Jamieson

Lou Sorkin gave us a behind the scenes tour of the American Museum of Natural History.  While on our tour we also met Lee Herman.  Lee showed us their immense collection of beetlesHe had interesting facts about every box of beetles, whether it was about their geographical origin or their texture. Lou then brought out a living collection that included tarantulas and scorpions. We finished our tour by looking at Lee Herman’s beetle illustrations. He views smaller beetles through a microscope and then draws their details on a larger scale.






 Each of them described their job as being perfectly fit for their personality.My goal is to find a career that I can be just as enthusiastic about. The reason why this visit was important to me is because I am considering working as a scientific illustrator or another kind of illustrator in the future.Earlier in the academic year, we had a scientific illustrator speak to our illustration class. That initial lecture sparked my interest in that field of study. This meeting reminded me that this could be an actual job for myself. I am grateful that this talk gave me some idea as to the direction that I want to take in life.

Following the meetings, I went straight to the galleries to sketch until the museum closed.














No comments:

Post a Comment