Thursday, May 16, 2013

Lots to be learned, Lots to remember.

View from our loft, first night
This trip has been a once in a lifetime experience for me. It was so much more than I could have ever imagined, and I would do it again in a heart beat. When asked to write a post about what I learned over this past month, I was overwhelmed with the thought of having to pick something.
One of the things that impacted me the most was to see how each artist is different. My favorite part of the trip was going to different artists studios and hearing their backgrounds and seeing where they work. Each and every artist we met had a different background, and a different goal with their artwork. They were all so encouraging to us students about making what we want happen, and showing us everything and anything is possible.
View from Central Park
Coming into this trip I was not aware of all the different opportunities in the art world and all the jobs behind anything art related. It was impressive to learn that so much more goes on behind the walls of a gallery or museum; everything the public sees is just a tiny piece of what goes on. Seeing where magazines are made and put together was an incredible experience and a great example to show us how many different jobs and responsibilities go into just one project.
Along with the art related things I learned, I also learned to be more independent and navigate parts of the city. Learning to navigate the subway system was one of the first things I had to figure out so that we could venture out on our days off. This is a "skill" I will never forget, and will make visiting the city so much easier in the future.
This entire month in the city has changed everything I thought about a career in art, and has made me so much more confident in my future knowing anything is possible as long as we all try and work for it.








 -Kate Gott

No comments:

Post a Comment