Friday, May 17, 2013

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

But DUMBO puts in it's influence just the same.

I've learned to sketch at slightly faster than a snail's pace (progress for me, I assure you), and not have a panic attack when there are imperfections.
Sketch from the Museum of Natural History
 Sketch from the Museum of Natural History





















I've learned that it is okay to make something and like it, but at the same time realize that it should probably never be shown to another living soul.
Joseph Stella- Brooklyn Bridge: Variations on an old theme






I've learned that from Joseph Stella and Georgia O'Keefe, to the guy selling his own prints on the street corner, there is no painting of the Brooklyn Bridge I dislike.










I've learned about the power of white walls to transform trash into treasure, and the options of manipulating a show's atmosphere through wall color, floor color, and soundtrack.



I've learned that a textbook "good" paint palette is almost never the most effective way to work. (Wisdom courtesy of Noah Becker)
It's alright to love the concept behind a piece and absolutely hate the execution, and vice versa.
In the same train of thought, I used to think it was okay to not have an idea or meaning behind a piece, but I've learned that's not really true. A piece with no point is kind of useless. I've learned I have a lot of work to do in this area.
I've learned that Pinkberry has the best pomegranate yogurt in the galaxy
I've learned that late night trains sound like hurricane force winds, and movie shoots are inconvenient though still exciting to be around.
I've learned that when you look closely at a painting, you may lose the representational image but you see more of the artist in the brushstrokes than any other part.
Gray Weather- Grand Jatte- George Seurat

I've learned that the art world has infinite opportunities beyond just being the one who produces the work.
I've learned that the NY art scene is a passionate one. Whether it is the creators at fairs, so eager to explain their ideas to strangers who are clearly not collectors, or janitorial staff having it out over the true value of Jeff Koons' latest work.
I've learned that I like New York as a friend, but I'm not sure if I want to take our relationship to the next level quite yet.
I've learned all this and more. This month has been one of the most enlightening experiences of my college life to date, and I've picked up so much information in the brief time we've been here it's going to take months more to even begin process it all, and likely, years to apply it all to life in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment