Friday, May 10, 2013

Michael Wilson

Because of our visits to the Chelsea Galleries, I am beginning to have a higher respect for contemporary art. However, I still find myself struggling to understand it. On Wednesday we had the honor of meeting Michael Wilson, the author of the new book: How to Read Contemporary Art. It gives brief descriptions of contemporary artists from various backgrounds and mediums. He gives simplified explanations of the works and the artists' purposes.It is the ideal book for young artists or those who are not as familiar with the art world. I have not read the book in its entirety, but I am already learning about more artists.

At dinner our discussion revolved around writing about art. He described his process of writing and editing, there is a lot of editing. He gave us his opinions about how the different museums or galleries should explain the art on display. I agreed when he said that a statement about a piece should be based on fact, not just a subjective view. A person should be able to form their own opinion about the art.

Even though writing can be tedious for many of us, it is a beneficial skill to have as an artist. After I complete a painting it is difficult for me to explain my intentions in words. Something that has been private has to be revealed to the public in a specific choice of words, and that can be intimidating. Our meeting with Michael Wilson gave me ideas of how I want to present my work in the future. I am now thinking about my writing style along with the actual techniques of painting.



                                            
                                                        Thanks for signing our books!



                                                   
... And our Egyptian Dinner







No comments:

Post a Comment