Saturday, May 11, 2013

Long Island Outing


It’s amazing how one piece of artwork can change your entire view of a movement. I honestly have never been a huge fan of the abstract expressionists. Most pieces I’ve seen, whether by the “masters” of the time or not, have come across as clunky and crowded, even messy and I honestly have not seen the worth in them that others do. However this opinion has begun to change. I recently viewed an abstract expressionist show on a day off at the Nassau County Museum of Art. There were some of what I’ve known before, but one piece in particular, stood out. It was Time: 3:30 by Norman Bluhm from 1959. This painting is light and inviting in presence. It has the perfect balance between exposed canvas and swatches of color that are just thick enough to have a commanding presence but at the same time let the viewer take control. This painting evokes feelings of freedom and absolute joy and I could stare at it’s bright forms, reminiscent of tropical birds in flight for a lifetime and never tire. 

After connecting with something like I did this painting, I’m looking forward to looking at more art with fresh eyes and a new opinion. 

-Aubrie Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment