Tuesday, April 30, 2013

It's All Happening At The Zoo

I'm not a city kid, not even close. I'm used to a yard full of woods where bears walking through is a common occurrence, and I get woken up by the roosters and ducks on a daily basis. Yet, despite it being somewhat outside my comfort zone, I jumped at the chance to come to the city for this monthlong trip. And I'm so incredibly glad I came. We've met some incredible people, seen some phenomenal things, and I'm looking forward to all the other things yet to come. And as much fun as I've had in the city so far, getting a chance to spend a day in a slightly more natural environment (namely the Bronx Zoo) was a welcome interruption. 

There's something about most animals that just turns me into a kid in a candy shop again, albeit one with a camera now, running around to take 50 pictures of each and every thing. Though, I like to think that I have a slightly more mature way of looking at things now then I did the last time I visited. 



Rather than necessarily just rushing for the more "spectacular" animals straight away (lions and tigers and bears, oh my,) and passing the others without a thought, looking at art has gotten me on the path of slowing down to observe the little things, even if that only manifests itself in the form of patience while looking for the elusive poison dart frog amidst the leaves of its tank. 


-Aubrie Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment