Monday, April 22, 2013

First Night in the City


Before I arrived in New York, I put together an idea of how I thought Friday evening would go. I'd get to the loft, unpack, get some dinner, and settle in for an early night, ready to adventure in the morning. I never expected that on my first night in th city, I'd be meeting an artist straight out of my contemporary art textbook.

After riding the subway, we arrived at Pace Printmaking Studio in Gowanus. None of us knew what to expect. After we met the host Rob Fischer, I took a look around. What caught my eye first was a slide show of vintage photographs projected on the walls in the entrance. The main part of the building was a print making studio; there was art along one wall- work by the director of Katy Perry's California Girls music video and other artists. Large printmaking equipment took up some of the room, and there was a table of record players pumping music, live musicians, a ping pong table, and many cool looking people.

One of them happened to be Chuck Close! None of us could believe it- we were so anxious to talk with him. Throughout the night, we all got a chance to chat him up. Gina even got a kiss on the cheek! There couldn't have been a more perfect beginning to such an awesome trip.

-Jamieson Riling



Jamieson, Chuck Close, Gina


Kate, Renee, Maggie, Christina, Chuck Close, Julia, Aubrie



Print from Pace Studio Annual Party

No comments:

Post a Comment